Learn a little about the origins of this garment, how to select them according to the shape of your body and what is the protocol that exists to wear them. Continue reading for more information.
Table of Contents
Shirts are garments that have evolved over the years. As we know it now, with a collar, buttons and in various shapes, it appeared between the 19th and 20th centuries.
Before that time, shirts were part of underwear. They used to be soft and their function was to separate the skin from the fabrics of the other garments that were characterized by being rougher.
In ancient times the designs were simple and people used to see the neck and sleeves as much as possible. According to ancient codes of ethics and protocol, men were prevented from removing their jackets because it was synonymous with showing their underwear.
Just as society has evolved, shirts have too. These have diversified in shapes, colors and styles. At present, these types of garments are part of the daily life of gentlemen and some ladies who usually wear them with great style.
The right shirt for every occasion
Men’s shirts vary by the details of the collar, cuffs, color and texture. These factors will be decisive in selecting the most suitable one.
If the occasion is formal and elegant, such as a wedding ceremony, it is best to wear a classic dress shirt. These are characterized by being white, pure and smooth, with long sleeves. The cuffs must be double, in case you want to wear cufflinks. These do not usually have pockets because if you want to use a handkerchief or some adornment, it is better to place them in the pocket of the jacket.
If the occasion is informal, you can wear prints or more vivid colors. You can leave long sleeves for the night. In seasons like summer, short sleeves are best; If wearing long sleeves, it is best to wear shirts with the sleeves rolled up .
Shirts must be selected in the proper size and fit the man’s body. When you button up your collar, you’ll know the shirt is right for you, if you move it at various angles and it doesn’t get too tight.
With your arms outstretched, the sleeve cuffs should reach just above your hands. That way when you have your arms crossed, the elbow won’t pull on the fist. If you wear a jacket, the cuffs should protrude at least a couple of centimeters.
Another recommendation to choose the perfect shirt is that it should be close to the body, but it should not be marked. If when you try it on, all the buttons are a little stretched out, it is best to order a size up.
When the shirt has wrinkles on the sides, or on the shoulders, it means that it is too big . If this is your case, it is best to order a smaller size. As well as shirts, you can also learn how to match polo shirts .
Choose the shirt according to your neck
There are many tips that we can give you to wear a stylish shirt or to buy one. The main one is how to select them, according to your type of neck. When you buy one of these garments, after fastening the button at the neck, you should have a finger inside.
- If your neck is short, avoid shirts that have very long neck ends. This will make it look like you have a longer neck.
- If your neck is long, you can wear any type of shirt, except mao. You can also wear bow ties without worry.
- If your neck is narrow, opt for shirts with split-point collars, avoid ties and wear bow ties.
Types of Formal Shirt Collars
This is one of the most basic elements of a men’s shirt . In fact, it is one of its focal points. It is not usually given much attention, however, it must be done. In general, there are 7 types of shirt collars.
- English : it is one of the most traditional in men’s dress shirts, it is usually more closed than the Italian collar. It has a narrow opening, its cut is between formal and discreet. Its tips are also elongated and it is taller than other types of necks. As it is a narrower neck, ties should not be too wide.
- Italian : The tips of this type of collars are usually more open, wide and short. Its advantage is that it looks good with or without ties. Obviously, if the occasion is formal, you cannot stop wearing your tie. Being wider, the tie takes on more relevance due to the wide separation between the ends.
- Opera or wings : this particular collar is used only for very special events, large ceremonies or galas. Thanks to its shape, its main purpose is to highlight the bow tie. When the occasion calls for it, it can be combined with a plastron, to reinforce the elegance of this type of shirt.
Casual shirt collars
The use of this type of neck is reserved for day to day. Depending on the wardrobe combinations you make, they could come to look formal. Some like the French or the American, you can wear them with ties.
- French : it is a standard model but very elegant. Its ends are not usually very open, that gives it a refined touch, ideal to combine with ties if the occasion calls for it. The amplitude of this type of collar usually varies according to the model of the shirt. Sometimes it could look like the English collar and at other times, its tips are practically horizontal.
- Americano : it is used to go to the office because they give it that necessary touch of formality. This type of shirts has buttons at the ends of the shovels. This pair of buttons gives them an informal touch so you can wear it in a relaxed way.
- Mao : It is perfect for shirts that you can wear on the beach or enhance your boho chic style. In case you want to wear a shirt with this type of collar you can do it, the best of all is that you will not have to wear a tie. It is characterized by being a short, open, raised piece with rounded ends. It is inspired by oriental costumes. In the case of having a short neck, it is recommended to wear the central opening without a button because it lengthens this part of the body.
Types of shirt cuffs
Just as there are different types of collars, shirt cuffs are also usually varied. These are usually chosen according to the occasion and the type of body of the man.
- Buttoned : they are the most common and are worn on informal occasions. There are several types; straight, filed or curved, with one button or three.
- French : this one does not have buttons, instead it has buttonholes to place the cufflinks. It has only one buttonhole per cuff and the finish can also be varied.
- Milanés : it is double or with a turn. The buttons can be attached to the cuff on the lower layer and on the outside it has a buttonhole to place the cufflinks.
Choosing the right shirt will make your style change completely. It is always good to read these recommendations to look appropriate for the occasion. We invite you to read the 10 fashion trends for fall .
What do you think of this article on how to choose the right shirt for every occasion? We invite you to share it on your social profiles where you interact the most.