Table of Contents
What Are Effective Cold Sore Treatments in Brampton?
Cold sores are small blisters that appear under the skin near your mouth or lips. They may break open or ooze, and generally last between a week and 10 days.
They are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV-1). If you contract this virus, it will flare up soon. Generally, HSV-1 does not leave your body after a flare-up. Instead, it remains dormant in your nerve cells. Flare-ups can be accompanied by headaches, extreme pain, sore throat, and high fever. It can be triggered by factors such as stress, surgery, hormonal imbalances, and direct sun exposure.
But while cold sore flare-ups cannot be avoided, there are a few things you can do to calm them or shorten their duration.
Let’s find out what they are.
How to Get Rid of Cold Sores in Brampton
Here are a few remedies for treating cold sores at home.
Although ice may not decrease the duration of a flare-up, it can reduce both inflammation and discomfort. For temporary relief, apply an ice pack directly to the sore.
The antiviral properties of lemon balm help reduce the discolouration, redness and inflammation associated with cold sores.
Aloe Vera Gel
Often used for sunburns, this gel may help a cold sore heal. It can also help to fight viruses, including herpes simplex.
Over-the-Counter Antiviral Medicines
Medicines containing benzyl alcohol or docosanol can help decrease the duration of cold sores. An amino acid called lysine is available as an oral supplement or cream. Ibuprofen or acetaminophen reduces the pain related to cold sores.
Sunburn can trigger cold sores. So, it is recommended to apply sunscreen before you go outside.
Tea Tree Oil
This strong-smelling oil can help heal cold sores quickly.
This oil is also useful for the treatment of cold sores.
Vitamin C does not cure cold sores but does help in the healing process. It contains antioxidants that boost immunity and wound healing.
Taking precautions to reduce stress prevents cold sores. To that end, try deep breathing exercises and meditation.
When to Visit a Doctor for Cold Sore Treatment
Have cold sores? Consult a doctor if you experience the following:
- Cold sores that last for more than two weeks
- Severe symptoms such as headache, extreme pain, high fever
- Sores near the eyes
- Sores that spread to other parts of the body
- Frequent outbreaks of cold sores
Someone with a weakened immune system must consult a doctor in order to avoid complications. Cancer, Lyme disease, and HIV, for instance, may weaken your immunity.
Your doctor may recommend the following oral medications:
- Valacyclovir (Valtrex): This works best when taken within 48 hours of the first symptoms appearing.
- Acyclovir (Zovirax): Acyclovir is used to cure cold sores, shingles, herpes virus infections of the genitals (HSV-2), and viral infections in newborns. Although acyclovir may not cure sores, it helps them to heal faster.
- Famciclovir (Famvir): This is used for the treatment of recurring herpes virus infections (cold sores) of the lips, mouth and genitals in HIV patients. Although famciclovir may not cure genital herpes, it can lessen pain and discomfort and help sores heal faster.
- Penciclovir (Denavir): Penciclovir belongs to the family of medicines known as antivirals. They are used for the treatment of infections caused by viruses. Usually, they work for only one kind of viral infection, including herpes simplex viruses.
- Topical penciclovir is used to cure the symptoms of cold sores. Although this medicine will not cure herpes simplex, it may help reduce the pain or discomfort it causes and help the sores heal quickly.
These are the key cold sore treatments recommended for patients in Brampton. These include common home remedies and over-the-counter ones. If need be, consult a doctor for a better outcome. For toothache treatment or other dental problems in Brampton, contact a leading oral health clinic.